Development Review

Development Review

Development review is responsible for implementing the Town’s policy framework by employing processes that allow Town Staff to expedite decisions or to make recommendations to Council for decisions pertaining to land development applications. As part of this, the Town has provides a Pre-consultation Service for those persons intending to submit planning applications to the Town.

Current Development Applications

Major development applications being reviewed are listed here and include:

  • Official Plan Amendments;
  • Zoning By-law Amendments;
  • Plans of Subdivisions and Condominiums; and
  • Site Plans.

Development Fees

On April 26, 2010, Council approved By-law No. 2010-35 which sets out fees and charges related to the processing of Planning applications and related Engineering and Public Works services.  This By-law was amended through Amending By-law's 2011-44, 2012-23,2013-13 and 2014-14.  An office consolidation of the Fees By-law is available by clicking here.


Effective May 11, 2009, The Blue Mountains requires pre-consultation between proponents and Planning staff on applications for amendments to the Official Plan and Zoning By-laws, site plan control and draft plan of subdivision and condominium. The purpose of pre-consultation is to identify the information required to commence processing of a development application. Pre-consultation does not imply or suggest any decision whatsoever on behalf of Town staff or The Blue Mountains to either support or refuse the application. Failure to pre-consult may result in a delay in the processing of development applications. To arrange a Planning Act pre-consultation, please complete the PLANNING ACT PRE-CONSULTATION APPLICATION form available on the right hand side of this page and submit to: The Planning Division, Planning & Building Services Department In accordance with Town Policy, a Pre-consultation will be arranged within ten (10) business days on a first come, first serve basis. Confirmation will be provided by way of e-mail communication only to the applicant.

Official Plan Amendments

The Town’s Official Plan is a policy document which sets out the goals, objectives and directions for long-term growth and development within the Town. The Official Plan can be altered through an Official Plan Amendment (OPA) process. The OPA process allows for site specific amendments to the plan and also allows for the establishment of new policies. Official Plan Amendments are adopted by Town Council and approved by the County of Grey.

Zoning By-law Amendments

The existing two Zoning By-laws within the Town can be altered through a Zoning By-law Amendment (ZBLA) process. The ZBLA process provides a way to change zoning regulations for individual properties and is generally initiated by the property owner and allows for site specific amendments to the Town’s Zoning By-laws. Zoning By-law Amendments are approved by Town Council.

Site Plan Approval

The Town requires Site Plan approval for multiple residential (including condominiums), commercial and industrial development. Site Plan deals with the impact of the plan on surrounding land uses including the specific location of buildings, structures, services, access, parking and landscaping on a particular property. If Site Plan approval is required, the applicant must complete and submit a Site Plan application to the Town for review. Under the Planning Act, the public is not involved in the site plan approval process.

Plans of Subdivision/Condominium

The County of Grey is the approval authority Subdivisions and Condominiums within the Town. The Town requests that all applicants who pre-consult with the County of Grey on a proposed plan of subdivison or condominium involve Town Staff.


A land severance is the authorized separation of a piece of land to form a new lot or a new parcel of land. This is commonly known as a consent. It is required if a person wants to sell, mortgage, charge or enter into any agreement (at least 21 years) for a portion of their land. If the two parts are split already, by a road or railway for example, consent is not needed.

The Town’s Official Plan has specific policies and requirements for land severances. In addition to the division of land, rights-of-way, easements and any change to existing property boundaries also require land severance approval.

If several severances are intended in the same area, a plan of subdivision may be more appropriate. It is up to the Town to decide whether a consent is the best approach or if a plan of subdivision is necessary for the proper and orderly development.

Official approval is required to ensure that:

  • land severances are considered within an established community planning framework;
  • new lots and new land uses do not conflict with the overall future planning goals and policies of the Town; and
  • consideration is given to the effects of the division of land on the site, on the neighbours and on the community as a whole.

Once a severance has been approved, the new land parcels may be sold or resold without further approval. The only exception is if the Town has specified that this should not occur without further approval.

The granting of consents is carried out by Town Council.


Director Planning and Development Services

Director Planning and Development Services
519-599-3131 x246

Planning Services

Planning Services
519-599-3131 x283


download the free adobe pdf reader at the free Adobe pdf reader at
All documents found on our website can be made available in other accessible formats where practicable and upon request.
printable page