Watering Restrictions

Watering Restrictions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Outdoor Use of Water?

Outdoor use of water means the watering of existing lawns, gardens or outdoor use. Watering with a watering can or washing a vehicle with a hand held hose equipped with a shut off device is permitted on any day.

What if I have new landscaping?

For the purposes of establishing new landscaping only, any person may purchase a Landscape Watering Permit from the Town for a fee of $50.00 as shown in the Water Charges By-law, together with a deposit of $50.00 as shown in the Water Charges By-law. The deposit is refundable upon confirmation of compliance with the following and any other provision as may be listed on the Permit.

The permit will enable watering for a period up to and including THIRTY (30) days from the issuance of the Permit between the hours of 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. during any day within said THIRTY (30) day period.

Please ensure the Permit is displayed in a visible location.

To obtain a Landscape Watering Permit, please contact the Clerk / Receptionist for Infrastructure & Public Works at 519-599-3131 Ext. 276. Please allow 48 Hours for the preparation of the Permit.

How are Water Restrictions Enforced?

Water Restrictions are strictly monitored and enforced. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. A property owner who uses water from the water system, or permits that use of water from the water system contrary to Section 8.01 of By-Law 2014-11 shall be subject to warnings and pay charges in accordance with the following:

  • Use of water during restricted/prohibited time
  • First Instance - Written warning
  • Second Instance - $150.00 per instance
  • Third and each subsequent instance - $300.00 per each subsequent instance

Who do I contact for more information?

For information on Water Restrictions, please contact 519-599-3131 ext. 285 or wwwinquiries@thebluemountains.ca.

Watering Tips

  • Excessive lawn watering leads to shallow root growth, which weakens the grass making it vulnerable to disease, pests and drought.
  • Applying a maximum of 1" of water per week - including rainfall - will encourage deep, strong root growth ensuring your lawn can better cope with the hot, dry weather of summer.
  • Watering your lawn during the heat of the day can create water loss due to evaporation and may burn the grass.
  • Water from your dehumidifier or rain barrel is an excellent alternative to using potable water for your plants.
  • Your awareness and compliance with the Town's Water Restrictions will help to ensure a reliable supply of water for everyone's use.

return to main content

Watering Restrictions


Water and Wastewater Inquiries

Water and Wastewater Inquiries
519-599-3131 x284

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Outdoor Use of Water? »»

What if I have new landscaping? »»

How are Water Restrictions Enforced? »»

Who do I contact for more information? »»

Watering Tips »»

download the free adobe pdf reader at get.adobe.com/readerdownload the free Adobe pdf reader at get.adobe.com/reader
All documents found on our website can be made available in other accessible formats where practicable and upon request.
printable page