navigate to Home | navigate to Accessibility | navigate to Staff Directory |

Fire Prevention

 If this is an emergency dial 9-1-1. Do not wait.

The Blue Mountains Fire Department is committed to preventing fires and injuries, ensuring compliance with the Ontario Fire Code and educating the citizens of The Blue Mountains by using the three lines of defence:

  • Public fire safety education
  • Fire safety standards and enforcement
  • Emergency response

The Fire Prevention Division is active in the following areas:

  • Educating the public regarding fire safety and prevention measures
  • Conducting fire inspections to make sure that all required fire prevention and safety measures are in place and being maintained
  • Conducting plans review and new construction inspections

Make sure your home has working smoke alarms. Smoke alarms are required on every storey and outside of all sleeping areas.

  • Test smoke alarms monthly
  • Change the batteries once a year
  • Replace smoke alarms after 10 years
  • Develop and practice a home fire escape plan with everyone in your household

For more information about smoke alarms please visit the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services website.

The Ontario Fire Code now requires homes to have working carbon monoxide detectors.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Questions and Answers

CO alarms monitor airborne concentration levels (parts per million) of CO over time, and sound an alarm when harmful levels are present. They are designed to sense low CO concentrations over a long period of time as well as high concentrations over a short period of time.

CO is a by-product of incomplete combustion of fuel such as natural gas, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, charcoal, gasoline, wood, or other bio-fuels. This incomplete combustion can occur in any device that depends on burning a fuel for energy or heat.

Examples of fuel burning devices:

Home furnace
Space heater
Decorative fireplace
Wood stove
Kitchen stove or grill
Gas/charcoal barbeque
Hot water heater
Automobile
Lawnmower

Automobiles left running in an attached garage, a portable generator operating near an open window or in the garage, an outdoor gas barbecue operated inside the house, a grill or kerosene heater that is not properly vented, or a fireplace chimney that is dirty or plugged may create unsafe levels of CO.

When these devices are properly installed, maintained and vented, the CO produced can be prevented from reaching unsafe levels in the home.

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness and even loss of consciousness, without the elevated temperature associated with the flu. In severe cases, CO poisoning can cause brain damage and death. The elderly, children and people with heart or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to CO.

It can poison the body quickly in high concentrations, or slowly over long periods of time.

For more information about Carbon Monoxide detectors please visit the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services website.

The Blue Mountains Fire Prevention Division provides the following services:

  • Inspections on a complaint and request basis
  • Fire Safety Presentations
  • Fire Extinguisher Training

For more information on Fire Code compliance please contact the Chief Fire Prevention Officer.


NULL

Contacts

Chief Fire Prevention Officer
519-599-3131 x105

Documents

Links