Residential and commercial alarm systems within the Town of The Blue Mountains must be registered with the municipality.
The purpose of the Security Alarm Registration is to establish a procedure that reduces false alarm OPP dispatches related to security alarms in the Town of The Blue Mountains. A system of warnings, fees and possible suspension of OPP response, is implemented in the instance of false dispatches.
False Alarm Prevention
- Ensure everyone on the premises is fully trained on the operation of the system, including cancellation procedures. Never give a key to someone who is not familiar with the system. No ID Code will prompt a police dispatch;
- Schedule regular service calls with your alarm service provider. Routine maintenance, including checking batteries, can prevent many false alarms;
- Update your alarm service provider following any household changes, remodelling, pet additions, etc, to ensure they do not affect the alarm system;
- Make sure your alarm service provider has up-to-date keyholder information and ensure keyholders are willing to attend should police require them;
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked before activating the alarm system;
- Upon installation, contact the monitoring station and verify the information provided by you to the alarm company representative has been correctly added;
- Make sure the arming delay is set for a reasonable time period;
- Keep pets, cobwebs, balloons, curtains, plants, and fans away from motion sensors; and
- If you are having problems with your system, contact your alarm service provider immediately. False alarms are a tremendous drain on police resources.
Information collected for the purposes of the Security Alarm By-law shall be governed by the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.