Each year, the Finance Department leads the preparation of the annual budget for the Town. As part of the Strategic Plan to ensure long-term financial stability of the community, the Town is committed to community involvement and feedback throughout the budget process.
Developing the annual budget involves several months of planning and coordination among Town Staff, Council, and stakeholders. This process involves extensive consultation with the public and ratepayers, ending with the development of a three-year operating budget and a five-year capital budget for the following year.
The Town’s budgeting goal is to ensure, through prudent fiscal planning, the long-term economic sustainability of the community.
Budget Factors and Guidelines
Resident, business and visitor demand for services and the community’s ability to pay for these services guide municipal spending. As infrastructure ages, funds must be committed for proper maintenance and refurbishment.
The Town recognizes that taxpayers are demanding value for their money. A balance must be achieved between demand for services and the taxpayers’ ability to pay for these services. The Town must ensure that services, programs, and facility commitments are sustainable now and in the future.
There are a number of factors that affect the preparation of the annual budget, including inflation, growth, development activity, economic trends, changing market conditions, taxation issues, and policy decisions of Council.
2022 Budget and Timeline
The 2022 Proposed Budget was released on November 12, 2021 for public review and input. The proposed budget included both Operating and Capital as well as proposed Fees and Charges. The 2022 Proposed Town Budget served as a starting point for budget deliberations.
The proposed budget was reviewed and deliberated by Council at a series of special budget meetings in early December 2021. These meetings were conducted virtually and were live-streamed to the Town website.
On January 12, 2022, following review and direction from Council, the budget document was revised and the Updated 2022 Draft Budget was posted to the Town website. Following the release of the 2022 Draft Budget, the Town held a Public Meeting to receive public feedback. Following the public meeting, a staff report was presented to Council outlining the public’s comments from the Public Meeting.
Press Releases, Notices & Reports
- Staff Report (2022 Draft Budget) - January 17, 2022
- Notice of Public Meeting - Fees and Charges
- Notice of Public Meeting - 2022 Draft Budget
- Notice - 2022 Proposed Town Budget Now Available for Public Input
Important Dates & Budget Documents
The following is a list of important dates in the 2022 Budget Process:
- November 12, 2021 – 2022 Proposed Budget was made available on the Town's website.
- December 2, 2021 – Committee of the Whole Budget Meeting #1 (view recording)
- December 3, 2021 – Committee of the Whole Budget Meeting #2 (view recording)
- December 6, 2021 – Committee of the Whole Budget Meeting #3 (view recording)
- December 8, 2021 – Committee of the Whole Budget Meeting #4 (view recording)
- January 12, 2022 – The 2022 Draft Budget was made available on the Town's website.
- January 18, 2022 – Following the January 17, 2022 Council Meeting and staff report FAF.22.005 titled "2022 Draft Budget", the Updated 2022 Draft Budget was made available on the Town's website.
- February 7, 2022 – Public Meeting for the 2022 Draft Budget and the following by-laws:
- February 15, 2022 – Staff Report to Council, outlining the public’s comments from the Public Meeting.
- February 28, 2022 – Budget By-law Approved by Council
|Budget Year||Approval Date||Link|
|2021||February 8, 2021||2021 Approved Budget|
|2020||March 30, 2020||2020 Approved Budget|
|2019||April 24, 2019||2019 Approved Budget|
|2018||February 12, 2018||2018 Approved Budget|
|2017||February 13, 2017||2017 Approved Budget|
2013-2016 Town Budgets
The Town is committed to creating an accessible online environment and ensuring that its web documents are available to everyone by meeting the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
As the Town’s Approved Budgets between 2013 and 2016 do not meet AODA standards, the documents are not posted on the Town’s website. If you would like an electronic copy of any of these Approved Budgets, please contact the Finance Department.
For more information on the AODA and accessibility, please visit the Accessibility page.
Related Documents and By-Laws