2022 Proposed Town Budget
The 2022 Proposed Town Budget is now available for public review and input. The proposed budget includes both Operating and Capital as well as proposed Fees and Charges. The 2022 Proposed Town Budget is a starting point for budget deliberations.
To learn more about the 2022 budget process, please review the information on the page below.
Each year, the Finance Department leads the preparation of the annual budget for the Town. As part of the Strategic Plan to ensure long-term financial stability of the community, the Town is committed to community involvement and feedback throughout the budget process.
Developing the annual budget involves several months of planning and coordination among Town Staff, Council, and stakeholders. This process involves extensive consultation with the public and ratepayers, ending with the development of a three-year operating budget and a five-year capital budget for the following year.
The Town’s budgeting goal is to ensure, through prudent fiscal planning, the long-term economic sustainability of the community.
Budget Factors and Guidelines
Resident, business and visitor demand for services and the community’s ability to pay for these services guide municipal spending. As infrastructure ages, funds must be committed for proper maintenance and refurbishment.
The Town recognizes that taxpayers are demanding value for their money. A balance must be achieved between demand for services and the taxpayers’ ability to pay for these services. The Town must ensure that services, programs, and facility commitments are sustainable now and in the future.
There are a number of factors that affect the preparation of the annual budget, including inflation, growth, development activity, economic trends, changing market conditions, taxation issues, and policy decisions of Council.
2022 Proposed Budget
The 2022 Proposed Budget was released on November 12, 2021 for public review and input. The proposed budget includes both Operating and Capital as well as proposed Fees and Charges. The 2022 Proposed Town Budget is a starting point for budget deliberations.
The budget will be reviewed and deliberated by Council at a series of special budget meetings scheduled for the following dates:
- Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, December 3, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. to noon
- Monday, December 6, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. to noon
The special budget meetings will be conducted virtually and will be live-streamed to the Town website. Following review and direction from Council through these meetings, revisions may be made and the updated budget will be available on Thursday, December 16, 2021. Following the release of the revised budget, the Town will hold a Public Information Centre and Public Meeting on Monday, January, 24, 2022. Following this meeting any further changes will be incorporated into the 2022 Proposed Budget for Council approval, which is expected to occur on Monday, February 14, 2022.
Press Releases & Notices
The following is a list of important dates in the 2022 Budget Process:
- November 12, 2021 – 2022 Proposed Budget is available on the Town's website.
- December 2, 2021 – Committee of the Whole Budget Meeting #1
- December 3, 2021 – Committee of the Whole Budget Meeting #2
- December 6, 2021 – Committee of the Whole Budget Meeting #3
- December 8, 2021 – Committee of the Whole Budget Meeting #4
- December 16, 2021 - An updated 2022 Draft Budget is available on the Town's website.
- January 24, 2022 - Public Information Centre and Public Meeting for the 2022 Draft Budget.
- February 1, 2022 – Staff Report to Council, outlining the public’s comments from the Public Meeting and Public Information Centre
- February 14, 2022 – Budget By-law Approved by Council