On this page:
3. Using Material from the Town Website
4. External Links
7. Business Directory
8. Community Groups and Public Services Directory
9. Copyright, Personal and Non-Commercial Use Limitation
10. No Unlawful or Prohibited Use
11. Community Calendar
12. Social Media
13. Subscribing to News Event Email Messages
14. Inquiries About the Website
15. General Contact
Every effort is made to ensure the information on the Town’s website is timely and accurate. However, information should be verified independently before being used or relied on. Contact the appropriate department for verification. All information is provided on an “as is” basis without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, statutory or otherwise. The Town does not warrant or make any representations as to the quality, content, accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links and other items contained on its website. The Town makes no warranties, express or implied as to the fitness of the information for any purpose, or to results obtained by individuals using the information and is not responsible for any action taken in reliance on the information contained herein. Material is provided as general information only and is not intended to provide specific legal advice for any individual and should not be relied upon in that regard.
Using Material from the Town Website
In order to ensure compliance with Canadian Copyright Laws, please contact the Website Committee for any material you wish to copy or use from Town web pages. This includes, but is not limited to, any text, graphics, design elements, photos and video clips. You may not use any of these elements without the express written permission of the Website Committee.
The Town considers the provision of website links to be a public service to provide tools for the community to access information generally related to the Town. The Town’s website contains links to other websites that meet the following criteria:
- Official government sites (i.e., Federal, Provincial, Municipal and government-funded agencies, boards, local government associations, local elected officials)
- Sites which are deemed to be of interest to our users and in keeping with the Town’s Mission Statement, Vision and Core Values
Prospective sites will be reviewed to ensure that, in the sole opinion and discretion of the Town, they are in keeping with the above criteria. The Town reserves the right to accept or deny any requests for references to or links to third party sites. The Town is not responsible for, and does not endorse, approve, certify or control external websites and does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficiency, timelines or correctness of the information located on third-party websites. Reference to any third party product, service, event or publication does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation or favouring by the Town or its employees.
The Town is committed to providing website visitors with a website that protects their privacy. The Town respects the privacy of its Internet users and will protect that privacy as vigorously as possible.
Collection of Non-Identifying Information
The Town collects non-identifying information from your computer when visiting our website. This information includes the Internet Protocol (IP) address, type of browser, date and time of visit and the different web pages you visit. This information is used strictly for statistical reporting purposes and to design and improve access to information and services available on our website. This information is not combined with other information or services to determine your browsing habits on websites beyond the Town website or to identify you personally.
Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
There may be instances where your personal information is required to provide you with information or services. Where your information is required, the amount collected will be limited to the minimum amount and type required to provide the information or service you have requested. This information will only be used for the purposes for which it was collected and will be used, protected and disclosed only in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act .
Privacy Contact Information
Questions or comments regarding this policy or the administration of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act at the Town of The Blue Mountains may be directed to contact the Clerk's Office.
Website Design Work
Website design work for the Town is completed by a third party. Occasionally, information on individual visitors is used by this third-party company in order to respond to requests or to ensure the security of the system. As such, they are considered as Town staff for the purposes of this Policy.
The Town is a subscriber to paytickets.ca and offers this as an online service to its website users. For information regarding privacy as it pertains to the use of paytickets.ca, please visit Paytickets.ca Privacy Page.
The Town is a subscriber to the BrowseAloud web screen reading service. For information regarding privacy as it pertains to the use of BrowseAloud, please visit BrowseAloud Privacy Page .
The Town is committed to creating an accessible online environment, to making its web documents available to everyone and to ensuring that the site meets the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). However, there may be instances where not all content is in an accessible format, such as maps, engineering drawings or legacy information. Should you need assistance in obtaining an accessible alternative for non-accessible content, contact the Website Committee or visit the Town's Accessibility page.
The Town’s Business Directory is an online database which allows the public to search for products and services in The Blue Mountains. It supports local businesses by providing easy access to the public for business information.
Entries in the Business Directory are allowed for businesses with addresses within the geographic boundaries of The Blue Mountains. Exceptions may be made for businesses located outside of the Town, but who provide services to residents that are not otherwise available.
The contents of the Business Directory are moderated by the Town’s Economic Development and Communications Coordinator. You will receive a confirmation email once your application is received. Once your Business Directory entry is approved, it will appear automatically in the Directory. Please check back in several days.
Users of the Business Directory can create and update entries in the directory using their own personal username and password. The Town reserves the right to cancel the username and password for anyone who abuses the system and to remove entries from the Business Directory, as determined by the Town.
Community Groups and Public Services Directory
The Town’s Community Groups and Public Services Directory is an online database which allows the public to search for clubs and services in The Blue Mountains. It supports local groups by providing easy access to the public.
Entries in the Community Groups and Public Services Directory are allowed for groups with addresses within the geographic boundaries of The Blue Mountains. Exceptions may be made for groups located outside of the Town, but who provide services to residents that are not otherwise available.
The contents of the Community Groups and Public Services Directory are moderated by the Community Services Department. You will receive a confirmation email once your application is received. Once your Community Groups and Public Services Directory entry is approved, it will appear automatically in the Directory. Please check back in several days.
Users of the Community Groups and Public Services Directory can create and update entries in the directory using their own personal username and password. The Town reserves the right to cancel the username and password for anyone who abuses the system and to remove entries from the Community Groups and Public Services Directory, as determined by the Town.
Copyright, Personal and Non-Commercial Use Limitation
The Town’s website is for your personal and non-commercial use. Unless specifically authorized by the Town, you may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, licence, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from this website. All contents of the Town’s website is Copyright © 2018 the Town of Blue Mountains and/or its suppliers, 32 Mill Street, Thornbury, ON N0H 2P0.
The purpose of the Town’s online community calendar is to inform the public about upcoming events in their community and to provide an opportunity to promote community and local meetings and events. The public is provided with an online mechanism to add events to the community calendar; all postings are moderated by the Community Services Department. All events submitted by a member of the public will be reviewed by Town staff to ensure that, in the sole opinion and discretion of the Town, the event meets or is in keeping with the intent of the below listed criteria.
Postings are allowed based on the following criteria:
- Events must be held in the Town, or hosted by a Town-based organization
- Postings cannot be entered more than 12 months in advance
- Postings must include at least one contact source (phone number, email address, website URL). Anonymous postings will not be published
- Events must be open to all members of the public
- Both free and ticketed events are eligible; however, if there is a fee, the amount must be included in the posting
- If there are age restrictions associated with a posting, they are to be included in the details
The Town will not approve postings that are:
- Personal fundraisers
- Political in nature
- Discriminatory to an individual or group
- Faith based ceremonies or teachings (with the exception of vacation faith based camps for children)
- Postings that conflict with any laws, Town by-laws, policies or programs
- Information workshops for the purpose of soliciting customers
- For the sale of products or services, unless a portion of the proceeds are being donated to a not-for-profit organization in the Town
- Yard sales or rummage sales, unless a portion of the proceeds are being donated to a not-for-profit organization in the Town
- Commercial in nature and, in the Town’s sole opinion, are attempting to advertise, promote or sell products or services of an individual or an individual business
- Promote, exhibit, illustrate or manifest hate or obscene/pornographic/sexual content of any kind
- Do not comply with municipal, provincial or federal legislation
- The Town reserves the right to deny submissions at its sole discretion
- The inclusion of a posting does not imply endorsement by the Town
- The Town accepts no responsibility for the information contained in postings made by others
- The Town accepts no responsibility for any damages caused by the inclusion of incorrect or inappropriate information posted by others
- The Town reserves the right to edit postings for grammar and clarity
- The Town reserves the right to modify the community calendar posting criteria at any time
- The issuance of permits for community events are not associated with the posting of events to the online community calendar and are the responsibility of the organizer
The Town’s Twitter account is posted on the newsroom page. It serves as a mechanism for disseminating information in a timely manner and enhancing the Town’s ability to share community news with a wide audience.
Third party content posted on the Town’s social media account does not necessarily reflect the opinions and position of the Town, its employees and/or Council members. The Town reserves the right to not post or to delete comments, links and other content that:
- Are not topically related to the particular message or online site being commented on
- Are spam
- Include foul language or vulgarities
- Are offensive to an individual or an organization, rude in tone, or abusive
- Solicit/advertise/promote particular services, products, or political individuals, political campaigns, advocacy groups or organizations
- Infringe on copyrights or trademarks
- Are inaccessible according to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)
Subscribing to News Event Email Messages
Members of the public may subscribe to news events by email. The Town is committed to meeting the terms of the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL). A simple method of unsubscribing is provided for all categories of news event email messages.